Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Animal Research

Cartoons are blunt instruments, they are clevers not scalpals. Sometimes the cartoons you draw end up being more extreme than one's actually convictions. This is a prime example of that.



I like this cartoon. It's simple, straightforward, and makes a clear and concise point. But the topic of animal research does not have a simple answer. Science has advanced by leaps and bounds and saved countless human lives with techniques that were practiced on animals.

At the same time when I go to the zoo, and actually look at one a chimpanzee or another type of monkeys, the thought of using this seemingly conscience being for research sickens me.

As I researched this cartoon(by research I mean studying pictures of monkeys for the drawing) I was amazed how human these creatures appear. It's really funny how when you actually sit down and try to artistically understand the structure of chimpanzee, how similar they are to us.

As i did the research and made sketches of the chimpanzee in this cartoon, I became more convinced of the drawing I was creating. In this case the actual process of drawing helped reinforce my convictions about the cartoon.

I would like to say that now I beleive that all animal research is wrong, but I don't. The issue for me is still somewhat convaluded, but today with this cartoon I took a stance, that hopefully will get people thinking about the issue. I used a clever not a scalpal, and I only hope the animals researchers aren't using tools as blunt as mine.

No comments: